Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Writing Style: A Writer’s Fingerprint


In the same way, a brushstroke is unique to an artist, so it’s a writer’s writing style. If you love books as much as I do, you’ve probably noticed that each book has its own personality. I am not talking about grammar and syntax (that applies to all books). I’m talking about how the words flow on the page; some are more lyrical than others. Some are simple yet captivating. A writing style is the fingerprint of each author. Although there might be some similarities, there won’t be two identical ones (unless it was plagiarized, and that’s another subject).

According to Literary Terms, “In literature, style is the way in which an author writes and/or tells a story. It’s what sets one author apart from another and creates the “voice” that audiences hear when they read.”

Let’s take a few examples from twentieth-century writers. Many authors, professors, and pundits have said that Hemingway’s writing style was concise, direct, and realistic. His simplicity and directness were a breath of fresh air. Unlike other authors, he steered clear of verbosity and embellishment.

Another example of minimalism is Raymond Carver. He didn’t pepper the story with unnecessary details to describe his characters or setting.

John Steinbeck was careful in how he used his words, especially in dialogues. Some say that although he was straightforward, he was also descriptive. An interesting combination, I would say. Also, because he was curious about the human psyche, his style tended to be realistic. 

George Orwell’s style, like Steinbeck’s, is effortless and rather journalistic. Like Carver, one of his writing traits was avoiding unnecessary imagery or ornate descriptions. Instead, he narrated so precisely, making each word weight while describing his characters and settings without the verboseness.

Do you have a unique writing style? Do you emulate your favorite author(s)?

4 comments:

  1. I tend to find my writing 'style' can be a touch convoluted, not through any conscious choice, but more, I feel, my wanting to tell the reader too much. It's bad habit I need to reign in and correct. Easier said than done, as people who litter their conversational speech with 'like' every several words can confirm.
    Keep up the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,
    Thank you for reading my latest post. Much appreciated. We tend to be verbose when we first embark on our writing journey. I used to write convoluted sentences until one of my mentors told me that less is more. Finding our writing style happens organically. Don’t force it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked hard developing a style, first consciously being influenced by the lyrical and then, as my writing developed paring it down and cutting the unnecessary. I still like reading 'thrillers' especially when I need reminding of how a real 'page turner' works

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Hello, Mike! It's been a minute, huh? Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. 😊 Much appreciated! You know something? I didn't use to read thrillers, but I decided to give it a go. They're a fun read. I think reading different genres help develop our own style. Okay, let me go and visit your blog now. 😁

    ReplyDelete