Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Writing Contest

Get your pens out (or keyboard) and turn your story into a winner!

If you’ve been following my blog, then you’ve read all my tips regarding writing. It’s time to put your knowledge to the test. If you are currently working on a short story that needs tweaking or major editing then you’ve come to the right place. There’s NO entry or reading fee, so what are you waiting for?

The guidelines for submission are simple:

1) Length must not exceed 2,500 words (Word count is strictly enforced).
2) Manuscripts must be typed, double-spaced, and in Word.
3) Font should be either Arial or Times New Roman, size 12. (This will make it easier on our panel of readers’ eyes)
4) You must be an aspiring or emerging writer.
5) You must be working on this story (not published before).
6) Only one story per participant.
7) You must register to follow my blog.
8) Deadline to enter July 31, 2010. Winner will be announced in my blog on August 18th.
9) Click on the icon "Follow" on the right-hand side.
10) Send it via e-mail to: cdbc2007@hotmail.com
11) In the e-mail subject line, please write: Writing Contest: (Title of your story)

The prize: You’ll get to work with a Canadian author, editor, and poet. He’ll give you feedback on this story in order to make it better. You’ll have the opportunity to revise it twice and ask him questions. He’ll give you overall comments on POV, dialogue, and characterization. I am giving this opportunity to aspiring writers because I know how difficult it is to make it into this business. I bet you’re asking, so what’s the catch? An easy one! Join my blog. Click on the icon “FOLLOW”. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain by reading my tips and advice on everything there is to know about writing, editing, and publishing. Is that so bad? If you have any questions regarding this contest contact me to the e-mail address above. Keep your pen moving and your eyes on the prize! Good luck to all participants!

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Do we have to be Canadian to enter? I live in Montreal but I am not Canadian and I'd love to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for stopping by. No, you don't have to be Canadian to participate. It's open to everyone who loves to write. If you're an emerging writer then this is a great contest for you. The author will be reading the stories and choose the winner. Please go ahead and submit and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank very much and thanks for stopping by! We'll see what I can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just discovered your blog and I am glad that you are doing this. I have quite a few things that I just post up on my blogs, but I may send you something for this contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kendall,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to reading your stories. However, the author has the last say and he'll choose the story he deems has merit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the You tube videos by Lev Yilmaz. They are very funny. I like his sense of humour about life's little dilemmas. I even laughed out loud at some of them.

    I don't know if in my case it's procrastination ( I suppose there is some of that too). There is actual a resistance. It’s as if Newton’s Law of Inertial kicks in. 'a body at rest tends to want to remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force' I actually feel a resistance, an opposing force, if I haven’t written for a time. However once pushed beyond that point (in my case actually painful) things start to flow.

    I have promised myself to follow your helpful suggestions. Stay tuned. Your Blog is full of things that are helpful and inspiring. Thanks.

    Jack N.

    ReplyDelete