Thursday, June 10, 2010
Editing Could Be Fun!
My tips to making editing fun:
1. Avoid too many adjectives, weak verbs, and characters that do not move the story forward. Don’t forget that sometimes less is more.
2. Don’t be afraid. It’s okay to axe some characters, paragraphs, and even pages.
3. Brainstorm and be open to changes and suggestions.
4. Revision should not hinder your writing time. When you write, just write. Do not edit while the inspiration is flowing. Editing will come later.
5. Take a break. After finishing your story, put it away and revisit it two days later. You’ll be surprised at your new-found perception.
6. Have fun! Laugh at your mistakes, share them with your writing partner as he/she will learn from them as well.
Is there someone with whom you share ideas and who fuels your writing energy?